Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Wah Wah Ustad Jee

 

(38) Wah Wah Ustad Jee

August '97

by Fazeel Azeez Chauhan

The great master's soul became free from his body a few days ago. We mourn this great loss to humanity. And we send Khan, all our love for giving us so much wealth in the forty nine years he was around us.

I sit and ponder.....listening to one of my favorite Qawalis:

Iss Karam Ka Karun Shukar Kaisay Ada

Jo Karam Mujh Pay Mayray Nabi Kar Diya

I can't help but cry for him, as if he was a dear friend. Because he did give us a lot. He was a guide, a teacher and a light. He lives in a special place in our hearts because he was also a member of our Muslim family. Our brother brought immense honor to our family.

How can I measure and state all the Faiz (benefits) that we received from Ustad Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan.

Do you remember where you were when you heard the news? I didn't believe that he had passed when I saw it on tv last Saturday. I was in shock and denial. Even though I had known for about a year that he was very sick, I didn't want him to go behind the veil so soon. Is that selfish and greedy on my part? No, I think I just love him a lot and wanted him to stick around for a long time.

Since last August, he spent several months here in the Los Angeles area. He used to come to UCLA for treatment and was said to be residing in Santa Monica. And during the last year, I saw him at a few shows. Sometimes I saw him performing and at other times, he was an honorable guest at other artists' shows. I always wanted to meet him but didn't get the opportunity until two months ago.

I was visiting Pakistan and staying in "Data Ki Nagri" Lahore. It was a great honor to visit the shrine of the great saint Data Ali Hajweri:

Na-kasaan Da Peer Kamil

Kamilaan Ra Rahnuma

On the occasion of Data Sahab's Urs, dozens of Qawals paid homage to the great sufi master. As they say, when Aulia-Allah (Enlightened people) become free of their bodies, we should not say that they are dead. Once free from the constraints of a body, the holy souls become even more powerful:

Jin Ki Mehfil Saji Ho

Woh Zaroor Aatay hain

When Khan Sahab concluded the Mehfil-e-Sama at this occasion, I didn't know that two months later, he'd be hanging out with Data Sahab even more. I invited him back to Los Angeles and requested him to sing for a much longer time than his previous show. He just nodded his head saying okay. Okay Khan Sahab, I'm just honored that I got a chance to see you and finally speak to you. You have been speaking to me for so many years through your music. I am truly grateful for what you have given to humanity. We who discovered your music are very lucky. We who speak your language are even more thankful.

You speak of love, passion and humanity. With your message, you were able to change the negative stereotypes that some people have about Islam. At your concerts, you graced us with your mere presence. You made all the people dance with joy, stirring them up with those powerful taals of the tabla . You awakened our souls with the deep vibrations of your melodies. You brought honor, respect and courage to the Muslim people of the world. You reached the top of the world with the Pakistani passport in your pocket and Allah-Hu in your breath and Islam synchronized within your heartbeat. You were truly a Nusrat and Fateh (Victory). And there is no doubt about that.

Ustad Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, through your words and music, you teach us to feel alive. You teach us to look, to hear, to discover, to learn, to love, to wonder, to be thankful, to love our pain, to get in touch with the Creator, to enjoy life, to have fun, to honor the thousands of Prophets and Aulia-Allah, to keep Islam in our hearts, to act, to treat other people with love and kindness, and to live as good human beings. Thankyou Ustad Jee for giving us all of this and lots more. We are very grateful to you. We will strive to live up to your example. You are always alive in our hearts. And we promise to keep hearing what you have to say to us so that we can reach higher. I will always love you Ustad Jee!

No comments:

Post a Comment