Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Get Up, Stand Up, For Your Rights

 (27) Get Up, Stand Up, For Your Rights

by Fazeel Chauhan

10-25-96

In an effort to "adapt" in America, we may change our name, language, clothes and beliefs. As hard as we may try, we do not fit in as "Americans." Our basic identity seems alien to a typical American. Our name, religion, culture and heritage are non-European. Because of these differences, we as a group have the most difficulty in the process of "assimilation" and may become easy targets of racism. Thus the title, which is one of the many suggestions given by reggae singer Bob Marley.

When I came to America, as a teenager, I wanted to fit into the new society. I tried hard to get rid of my accent, facial hair and native clothes. I opened myself up to learn about the new cultures, religions and social behaviors. I wanted to understand Americans and to discover common things based on which I could befriend them. I was an excellent Cricket and Hockey player. That did not help me here so I started playing football and baseball. In college and elsewhere, I was told that in order to survive, we must adapt. And I tried to adapt as much as I could. I even had to adapt my sense of humor because I could not make American people laugh with Pakistani type jokes.

I learned that American people in general have many great qualities. Americans are generally honest, law-abiding, well organized and punctual. In college people did not cheat like they did in Pakistan. In everyday life, I didn't have to deal with corruption. Sadly and unwillingly, however, I became aware of racism in America. It was of a different brand than the kind I experienced in Pakistan and Saudi Arabia. Somehow, we are not prepared to deal with it.

Most of us don't come here with American citizenships in hand. Many come here on student visas, which do not give us the confidence to walk on this ground as if it belongs to our fathers. We live in fear, without "making waves," til we acquire our Nationality. To our dismay, it doesn't make us an "American" in the eyes of the American majority. We continue to operate from a place of fear and put Caucasians on a pedestal.

In the initial contact with Americans, the first question asked is "Hey, what's your name?" If it's a common Muslim name like Hamid, Ali or Fareed it generates a wall of separation. If you're "lucky" enough to have fair skin and/or "European" features, you may get a foot in the door. But if you have the usual brown features, a wall rises against you, even before your name is asked. In conversations with Americans, we're asked about our religion or country of origin and some barbed wire gets added to the walls. These questions may be prompted to us because of our "accents." Some of us may discover that becoming a part of the American social circles is extremely difficult. We know them, but they are not interested in finding out who we are. In trying to "adapt," we gain little and lose our identity. We also turn to fellow Pakistanis and realize that they too have imported certain prejudices. We notice that frequently Pakistanis don't acknowledge each other on the street. The idea gets or grows in our heads that we are no good. The media does its share of promoting White American values, which may make us feel minor.

Muslims around the world and in America don't seem to have the spiritual fire and power like we did in the old days. When we instinctively stood up for our dignity, faith, and name. There is a general feeling of sadness and powerlessness among Muslims. A weakening of the spirit was caused by outside forces and helped by inner corruption.

Speculation about the state of the collective Muslim mind can be very subjective. The point is, at least in America, we operate from a place of fear and don't stand up to defend our basic human rights. We sometimes get stuck at "What can I as one person do." Or we become so disappointed that we pretend not to care. Some people stop me from talking and expressing my feelings about racism. I tell them that I am a Pakistani Muslim and my name is not "John" any more. I insist to them that I am the victim, not the racist and we shouldn't blame the victim. It is a big problem and the only way to get to the solution is to first talk about it.

Evil and good are part of everyday life. The evil things may seem scary, but if we have the solid strength in our spiritual being, we can say Takbeer or Na-ra-ay Haidery and face up to whatever evil is in front of us. Last week, my buddy Noman and I stood up to six racists in Chico State University, near Sacramento, CA. When we stood up for what was right, to our surprise, they turned out to be cowards and ran away. Muslims, Pakistanis and Indians are new immigrants and thus the easy pickings. A racist person looks for the easy target. Even gay people have more "power" than us, such that it is considered politically incorrect to say anything against them. But it's considered acceptable to slander Muslims. From your heart, do something to end racism, and help empower your people



No comments:

Post a Comment